Officers shot and killed someone who opened fire on them close to the White House, according to the Secret Service

Published On:
Officers shot and killed someone who opened fire on them close to the White House, according to the Secret Service

A man was shot and killed by Secret Service officers on Saturday after he fired at a security checkpoint near the White House. A bystander was also struck during the incident and is in critical condition.

White House Shooting Incident

Shortly before 6 p.m. ET, the suspect approached a checkpoint outside the White House and began shooting at officers, according to a Secret Service spokesperson. Officers returned fire, hitting the suspect, who later died at a nearby hospital.

It remains unclear whether the bystander was hit by the suspect’s initial shots or during the exchange of gunfire. No Secret Service personnel were injured, and President Donald Trump was inside the residence and remained unharmed.

Suspect Identified

The suspect has been identified as 21-year-old Nasire Best. Law enforcement sources said Best had prior encounters with the Secret Service. In June 2025, he blocked a White House entry lane, claimed he was “God,” and was taken for mental evaluation. In July 2025, he tried to enter a White House driveway again, prompting his arrest and a judge’s order to stay away from the White House.

Authorities also noted that Best had posted on social media claiming to be “the real” Osama bin Laden and had indicated a desire to harm Trump. Despite this, police had never previously seen him acting violently or carrying a weapon.

Rapid Security Response

The gunfire triggered a fast response from Secret Service officers and a 40-minute lockdown at the White House. CNN reporters on the North Lawn were rushed into the briefing room, where roughly two dozen journalists took shelter as officers shouted warnings of “shots fired.”

The lockdown was lifted shortly after 6:45 p.m. ET. Secret Service agents carrying rifles were seen patrolling the area and securing the press briefing room. Several top officials, including White House Chief of Staff Susie Wiles, Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent, and Vice President JD Vance, were captured leaving the White House during the incident.

President Trump’s Response

President Trump, who had canceled a planned trip to his golf club in New Jersey, was briefed by the Secret Service. He later posted on Truth Social, thanking officers and law enforcement for their quick action and emphasizing the need for strong security for future presidents.

Journalists React

ABC News’ Selina Wang shared a video showing the moment shots rang out. She wrote on X, “It sounded like dozens of gunshots. We were told to sprint to the press briefing room where we are holding now.”

Agencies Involved

The FBI supported the Secret Service at the scene, according to FBI Director Kash Patel. Washington, D.C. police and fire departments were also notified and responded to the incident.

SOURCE

Leave a Comment