A gunman who believed he was Jesus Christ opened fire on a White House checkpoint and was neutralized by the Secret Service

Published On:
A gunman who believed he was Jesus Christ opened fire on a White House checkpoint and was neutralized by the Secret Service

A 21-year-old man who claimed to be Jesus Christ opened fire outside the White House on Saturday evening, before being quickly taken down by Secret Service agents, authorities confirmed.

Details of the Shooting

The suspect, identified as Nasire Best, fired at a White House checkpoint at approximately 6:10 p.m. after being seen pacing erratically along 17th Street Northwest. Best fired only a few shots before Secret Service officers responded with a hail of bullets, killing him at the scene.

At least one bystander was seriously injured during the exchange, according to sources cited by The Post.

Suspect Background

Best was reportedly a mentally troubled individual who had previously come to the attention of the Secret Service for repeatedly loitering near White House entry points. Court records show he violated a prior order to stay away from the White House.

Best had previously been involuntarily committed on June 26 for obstructing traffic at 15th Street and E Street NW, and was arrested again on July 10 for Unlawful Entry. During the latter incident, he bypassed a restricted pedestrian control post and made statements claiming he was Jesus Christ and wanted to be arrested.

Immediate Response and Lockdown

The shooting prompted an immediate lockdown at the White House. Reporters on the North Lawn, including ABC senior correspondent Selina Wang, described the chaos:

“I was in the middle of taping on my iPhone for a social video when we heard dozens of gunshots. We were told to sprint to the press briefing room,” Wang said.

The lockdown lasted roughly 30 minutes before being lifted. The shots occurred less than two hours after President Donald Trump posted on Truth Social that he was working in the Oval Office on a peace deal with Iran.

Political Reactions

Leaders from both parties condemned the attack. House Speaker Mike Johnson (R–LA) praised the Secret Service’s quick action and sent prayers to the victims.

“There is no place in America for political violence,” said Rep. Cory Mills (R–FL), echoing bipartisan concern. Rep. Betty Column (D–MN) emphasised that differences should be resolved through the ballot box, not violence.

The shooting is part of a recent wave of political attacks near Trump. About a month earlier, a lone gunman opened fire at the White House Correspondents’ Association Dinner. In July 2024, another gunman attempted to assassinate Trump at a campaign rally, injuring him in the ear.

President Trump Responds

Trump thanked law enforcement for their swift action in a Truth Social post Sunday morning:

“Thank you to our great Secret Service and Law Enforcement for the swift and professional action taken this evening against a gunman near the White House, who had a violent history and possible obsession with our Country’s most cherished structure,” he wrote. “The gunman is dead after an exchange of gunfire with Secret Service Agents near the White House gates. This event is one month removed from the White House Correspondent’s Dinner shooting, and shows how important it is for all future Presidents to have the most safe and secure space in Washington, D.C. The national security of our Country demands it!”

SOURCE

Leave a Comment