Charleston County is getting ready to put federal disaster funds to good use as they prepare for the upcoming fiscal year. The Emergency Management Department in Ladson, S.C., is setting clear priorities to strengthen local disaster response and recovery, even while federal funding has declined in recent years.
Federal Funds to Support Local Disaster Preparedness
Each year, Charleston County applies for funding through FEMA’s Local Emergency Management Grant Program. This national program gave out over $319 million for hazard preparedness in the 2025 fiscal year. Charleston County typically receives one of the highest allocations in South Carolina, getting over $84,000 last year. Leaders expect a similar amount for the 2026 fiscal year, running from July 1, 2025, to June 30, 2026.
Funding Challenges Due to Federal Cuts
However, over the past five years, the county has seen about a 20% drop in this grant money. Emergency Management Director Justin Pierce says this is mostly due to reduced funding from Congress.
“We can’t grow and expand our capabilities because that funding is locked in,” Pierce explained. “Every year, inflation, cost of services and technology go up, so we have to kind of jujitsu our way through this on how to spend the money the most effectively.”
This situation has made it harder for the department to expand its services or update its tools and systems.
Where the Money Will Go
Despite the tight budget, the department has a clear plan for using the funds:
Disaster supply warehouse support: Money will go toward basic emergency supplies like blankets, pillows, shovels, and chainsaws.
Public shelter readiness: Shelters across the county will be better stocked and prepared.
Support for first responders: Tools and supplies will be available to assist emergency teams during disasters.
Drone program training: Staff will be trained to operate the department’s new drone. This drone will help assess flood damage and speed up the recovery process after disasters.
According to Brandi Griffith, the department’s Finance and Special Projects Manager, “We need to supplement with first responders and support all of our jurisdictional areas.” She also noted that the drone, funded through the annual budget, will be a valuable asset in disaster situations.
Local Leaders Building Reserve Funds
With less support coming from the federal level, local leaders are stepping up to ensure Charleston County remains disaster-ready. County Councilman Joe Boykin shared that the county has boosted its disaster reserve fund (previously called the “rainy day fund”) to cover funding gaps.
“We’ve upped that allocation so we have more reserves because of the shortages that we now face from the federal government,” Boykin said. “If that means more weight on our shoulders to step forward and do it, then we certainly will.”
An extra $2.5 million from an Airbnb settlement is being added to the fund, and staff have recommended raising the total reserve to $30 million.
What’s Next?
The Charleston County Emergency Management Department will find out in September whether they’ll receive this year’s FEMA grant money. Until then, leaders remain focused on getting the most out of every rupee spent, while also building local resilience for any future disaster.